Property damage during hurricanes and tropical storms can fall sometimes in the millions of dollars and can be devastating to you and your family’s lives as well. The key to minimizing the impact of these kinds of events is preparedness and being proactive instead of reactive. If you wait until NOAA issues a hurricane watch, or warning you’re too late. The following will help get you through an emergency and reduce as much property damage as possible:
- Be sure to have an evacuation route planned out well ahead of time.
- Inventory your personal property to ensure you have sufficient insurance coverage.
- Review your current insurance policy and update it as needed.
- Stock up on non-perishable emergency supplies beforehand.
- Take the necessary steps to protect your home including installing of impact doors and windows.
If there’s anything nice that you can say about hurricanes and tropical storms, it’s the fact that we usually have a few days warning of their impending landfall. Just remember that the key to avoiding devastation and tragedy is preparedness. And installation of high-quality impact windows and doors is one of the ways to ensure that your home is safe during such natural calamities. Here at V&V Windows we provide you with the highest quality and efficient impact windows and doors for your home.
Avoid These 5 Common Mistakes
The lack of installing impact doors and windows is one of the most common mistakes that new Florida homeowners (and even some long-term residents) make as a storm is headed for land. Here are the 5 most common mistakes to avoid during a hurricane:
- Being complacent about hurricane warnings – individuals who’ve survived storms in the past are apt to be complacent about any hurricane warnings. Remember, officials don’t issue such warnings unless there is a valid reason to do so.
- Failing to develop an evacuation plan – responding to an evacuation order in timely fashion is crucial. Days, hours and minutes count. Be sure that you and your family have a plan in place so that you can get out in time.
- Ignoring an evacuation order – you should leave as soon as possible once an evacuation order has been issued, even if the storm is still a few days from making landfall in your area.
- Not securing your home’s entry points – even a small breach can cause the roof to get blown off a house. Installing impact doors and windows will help protect from this type of damage and destruction.
- Relying on the immediate response of local area emergency responders – officials issue evacuation orders because of the heightened dangers involved with hurricanes. Don’t assume you’ll be rescued once you’re stranded. Emergency responders need to go where they are told and that’s usually the area the storm has affected most and is considered a priority.
For additional information about impact doors and windows or to get a FREE estimate, contact V&V Windows today.