Two of the most popular and sought-after weather protection products on the market today are hurricane shutters and impact windows. Both of these products are designed to protect your home and its contents from destructively high winds and the debris they often carry during a hurricane or tropical storm. However, impact-resistant windows from V&V Windows have certain advantages over hurricane shutters that make them the better choice for storm protection. Thus, if you are planning to invest in them, it is best to get all the details.
The Disadvantages of Hurricane Shutters
If the windows on your home are outdated and won’t latch properly, hurricane shutters won’t be as effective. In fact, the entire window could get blown out. As a result, you would have the additional expense of replacing your windows along as well as the hurricane shutters you installed. Safety reasons aren’t the only disadvantage. You have to install and uninstall them unless you purchase permanent shutters. Replacing your existing windows with V&V Windows’ impact-resistant products will lower your energy usage and potentially save money on your homeowner’s insurance policy.
The Benefits of Impact-resistant Windows
Although hurricane shutters provide protection for you and your family as well as the contents of your home, there are a number of benefits that only impact windows can provide. These benefits include:
- Better energy efficiency – these products help to retain interior heat in winter and reduce solar heat gain in summer thereby resulting in a significant cost savings on your monthly utility bills.
- Homeowner’s insurance discounts – many insurers recognize impact-resistant doors and windows as effective home protection systems. As a result, they may offer you a discount on your homeowner’s insurance policy.
- Improved aesthetics (curb appeal) – impact-resistant windows let the natural light in and are more aesthetically appealing than hurricane shutters.
- Increased protection – our windows provide a superior level of protection for your home and its contents.
- Noise reduction – you can decrease the level of outdoor noise, which makes them ideal for homes near busy intersections, freeways, and railroads.
- One-time installation – once V&V Windows installs your impact windows, nothing else needs to be done.
- UV protection – impact-resistant products from V&V Windows block the sun’s UV rays which can damage artwork, carpeting, photographs, and upholstery.
One thing is certain. Hurricane season never waits and you shouldn’t either when it comes to installing impact-resistant windows in your Florida home. If you are still undecisive about which style or design to install, give us a call today. To learn more about our products and how they can protect your home or to schedule an in-home estimate, we encourage you to contact V&V Windows as soon as it’s convenient to do so.